Adopting a Dog at HSC
Thank you for your interest in the wonderful puppies and dogs that we have here at the Humane Society of Charlotte. If you see a dog that you are interested in, please visit us at our 2700 Toomey Avenue shelter (open daily 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) and our HSC Petco Adoption Center in Huntersville click here for directions (open daily 11:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.)
We offer a variable adoption fee structure. Variable adoption pricing allows us to provide top quality care for all animals. Adoption fees are based on a number of factors such as age, size, breed or temperament. Having a higher adoption fee for some animals who find a home quickly enables us to create a financial legacy for those animals in need of lifesaving medical and behavioral intervention. Our basic adoption includes a veterinary and behavior screening/testing, spay/neuter surgery. all initial vaccinations, a microchip and 30 days of pet insurance.
Once you’ve decided that you’d like to adopt, there are some actions that the Humane Society of Charlotte suggests that you take.
You will want to research just the right pet for you, your family and your circumstances take a look at the information below. We hope it is helpful as you proceed with adoption:
- Learn about different breeds and mixes. Which traits will work best for you?
- Are you ready for a dog?
- What a puppy is not.
- Find a dog that is compatible with you, your home and your lifestyle – now and in the future.
- Spend quality time interacting with the dog you’d like to adopt. Many times an animal’s behavior is different when away from other animals or in a kennel. The animal displaying bad manners or not paying attention may just be scared and lonely!
You’ll also want to commit to being a responsible dog owner. This will include:
- Lavishing the necessary time and love on your dog.
- Understanding the financial commitment involved.
- Providing the necessary medical care and exercise for your dog.
- Training to ensure good behavior and manners.